If WordPress adventures a “fatal” error, it will appearance the “Internal Server Error” page – a atramentous + white page which will explain a amount of added credibility / information.
The page in fact has annihilation to do with WordPress; it’s aloft by the web server software (typically Apache) as a agency to affectation 500 errors.
HTTP errors appear on the Internet *all* the time – the a lot of accepted is the acclaimed “404″ (not found) page. Each of these errors action on the browser level, acceptation that what acquired them is about abased on added than just the CMS you’re using.
The point is that there are two types of HTTP absurdity (4xx/5xx), of which the “500″ absurdity is acquired by server issues. In the case of your WordPress absurdity page, this agency that you accept to acknowledge that what you’re seeing is acceptable the aftereffect of some added affair with either the database, appliance or HTTP server for your system.
The fix about requires digging about in the WordPress config files. Therefore, if you are not assured with annihilation explained below, it’s recommended that you allocution to a profession who’ll be able to advice array it out.
The acceptable annual is that – about – the 500 / Internal Server Absurdity is acquired by a book on your arrangement (not the database).
Don’t affront about your posts / abstracts – they are stored in a database, either on your own server or anyone else’s. It’s attenuate for the database to become damaged – it’s mostly the files which do it.
Thus, aggregate you charge to do is aimed at accepting rid of damaged / besmirched files that could be arch to the error:
1. Advancement Your WP Accession Folder
The aboriginal footfall is to aback up the WordPress accession folder, which allows you to accumulate a “hard copy” of the files which may become even added corrupted.
To do this, you charge to accretion admission to the “FTP” for your server.
I’m not traveling to explain the specifics actuality – there are too abounding altered agency to do it.
The accepted action is to get into the “Control Panel” of your hosting account, use that to accretion admission to the FTP of your annual and download the WordPress accession binder to your device.
The afterward explains how…
- Log into the “Control Panel” of your hosting annual (this will alter depending on the host)
- From the ascendancy panel, you accept two options – either attending for “File Manager” (if appliance CPanel) or “FTP” (if not appliance CPanel)
Whilst a lot of hosting companies will use CPanel (and appropriately you get admission to the built-in “File Manager” applet), there are some who don’t accept the functionality.
Because of the attributes of the two types of system, the advancement action alters depending on which you end up using…
- CPanel (File Manager)
- Click on “File Manager”
- Browse to the binder breadth WordPress was installed (basically the binder which contains sub-folders including “wp-include” etc)
- Select the binder itself (don’t bang into it)
- From the top toolbar, baddest “Compress”
- This will actualize a “zip” book of the folder
- Select the zip book and bang “Download”
- This should accord you the backed-up file
The aloft is what a lot of humans will end up doing. If you’re not appliance CPanel, you’ll wish to use the afterward steps:
- From your hosting account, analyze the FTP annual advice (there are abounding agency this is done)
- Once you accept FTP access, you charge a agency to affix – if you’re appliance Windows, FileZilla works best
- Use FileZilla to affix to the server
- Baddest the “WordPress” folder
- Save it to your system
This will acquiesce you to save the WP binder to your harder drive, acceptance you to accomplish the afterward operations with impunity.
Make abiding you accumulate the Book Manager / FTP arrangement open.
2. Rename The “Plugins” + “Themes” Folders
As mentioned, the majority of causes of the Internal Server Absurdity / 500 Absurdity in WordPress is due to a book getting besmirched or damaged.
The prime culprits for said damaged files are in the “Plugins” and “Themes” folders – both of which are accessible to getting changed, and both a lot of cited as the acumen for the baleful error.
The next footfall is to rename the “plugins” binder on the server:
- Browse to the wp-includes binder central the capital WP folder
- Locate the “plugins” folder
- Rename it to “plugins_old” or similar
- Try loading WordPress again
If the arrangement doesn’t load, afresh you should echo the accomplish with the capacity folder.
The.htaccess book is acclimated by Apache to actuate altered acquisition mechanisms for entering traffic.
Whilst it about works acutely well, there are generally instances breadth it will become damaged / besmirched – arch to problems such as the one you’re experiencing.
To fix this, you can artlessly rename the.htaccess book in your hosting account – which can be done appliance the afterward steps:
- Bang assimilate the “WordPress” accession folder
- Inside, analyze “.htaccess” and rename it to “.htaccess.bak”
- Try accessing your WordPress admin breadth in your browser
- If successful, bang assimilate Settings > Permalinks
- Bang “Save Changes” (this generates a new.htaccess)
- Check to see if WordPress is alive again
If you chase these steps, it *should* accord you – at atomic – abecedarian admission to the WordPress admin area afresh – from which you’ll be able to clean the assorted plugins etc.
If none of the aloft accomplish work, it suggests that you accept a added affair with the system. The a lot of important affair is to not agitation – all your posts / settings are stored in the database, acceptation that even if you accept to do a complete re-install, you’ll still accept them.